Friday 30 November 2012

Emily Simmons


Working at Cyrila’s was one of the most exciting experiences I’ve ever had! I stayed with the Cho’s for two weeks  - but it felt like months. While I was there, we did a lot of everything. The first day, Juan gave me a tour of the farm, sharing his vast knowledge of sustainable farming as he pointed out plants like curry bushes, jippy-jappa stalks, and plantain trees. We ground sugarcane juice at the farm and then made cocoa powder and coconut chocolate bars at the factory too, and I helped to package them for sale. Then we worked on improving the business – some marketing, some budgeting, and some painting! It was exciting to see what progress can be made with dedication and just a little sweat. I learned so much about the history and process of making chocolate, and its significance in the Mayan culture. And I learned some Kekchi Maya words!

Cyrila’s really stands for something big. Juan and Abelina have an amazing vision for their business, truly cultural and sustainable. The chocolate is so pure and delicious, straight from the Toledo farms and processed by the owners themselves. They are adamant to have great chocolate while implementing sustainable farming that supports the natural lush rain forest environment of Belize. Cyrila’s brings forward the best of both Mayan and Belizean culture, led by two of the most gracious people I’ve ever met. They will prove it to you, that chocolate is not only the most essential treat, but also can save the rain forest.

Living with the Cho’s was an incredible experience as well. I was instantly welcomed into the family and soon felt it to be my second home. I went with them to church – hands-down the most upbeat religious service I’ve ever attended! We went to a local waterfall for an adventure one day, and spent an afternoon making decorating for Independence Day. One night, we joined the extended family to cook tamales – it was so fun to learn the traditional cooking technique, and they were so delicious! I loved seeing so many stars every night and hearing the howler monkeys start up. I miss it all – my bunkhouse bed, my lessons on pounding corn tortillas, all the chickens!!

I ended up leaving Cyrila’s with a suitcase half packed with chocolate loot – 26 chocolate bars, 8 bottles of cacao wine, and 6 hot cocoa packs to be exact. I also took home with me so many memories of my sing-alongs with Lucresha, memory games with Henry, country music sharing with Juan, and bushrat hunting with Abelina. I had such an amazing time and I can’t wait to go back to visit again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment