Tuesday 13 November 2012

Casey Muncy, Chocolate, and a Need for More

After an afternoon of making chocolate by hand, eating the chocolate I created, and filling my belly with owner Abelina's wonderful Belizean cuisine, I knew I would be back to Cyrila's Chocolate. Less than a week later, I rode my bike seven miles from Punta Gorda for a chocolate bar and the opportunity to share the experience with my roommate.

Cyrila's, however, is about more than chocolate; they are working to preserve traditional Mayan culture, bringing economic opportunity to San Felipe and developing sustainably in an ever-more disposable world. A day at Cyrila's not only taught me about Belize, chocolate, and Mayan culture, but enabled me to reconnect with nature and see her as a friend and provider rather than an obstacle to work around.

A year-and-a-half later, Casey has returned, willing and ready to learn the chocolate trade. Stay tuned for updates regarding Casey's stay in San Felipe. Welcome back, Casey!



No comments:

Post a Comment